Many people would prefer their gardening power appliances were battery powered, instead of having to deal with irritating power cords and extension cables.
One of these devices is the hedge trimmer. It can be frustrating when you are trying to tidy up a hedge but have to avoid cutting through or tripping over lengthy power leads.
This can happen more often than you think and can be a dangerous hazard if it does.
Fortunately, battery-powered hedge trimmers have come a long way since they were first made, and have started to decrease in price too.
These trimmers are available in lightweight options ideal for the finishing touches on shapely topiary, as well as larger ones that can handle the more unruly hedges in your garden.
You’ll find 15 of the best battery-operated hedge trimmers below. No matter how big or small your garden is, you’ll find a battery-powered hedge trimmer to suit your needs below.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
This trimmer may be small, but it delivers amazing performance!
The tool is lightweight and has a strong blade guard, able to handle various materials without issue.
This makes it a good choice for those that need to sculpt shrubs and hedges.
Bear in mind that you will need to pay extra for the battery and charger, but they are compatible with other Ryobi ONE+ System tools, saving you more money overall.
- Small, compact battery
- Sturdy blade guard
- Difficult to see the battery’s power indicators
This trimmer is one of the best middle-priced hedge trimmers on the market.
It runs without making a lot of noise and is relatively comfortable to use.
It has useful safety characteristics built in, including a blade tip protector and a neutral locking mechanism.
The blade guard feels tough and strong, so it should last you a while, though the instructions aren’t as easy to understand compared to other options.
- Broad, capable blade
- Sturdy guard with blade tip protector
- Hanging storage ability
- Broad instructions aren’t very distinct
This battery-powered trimmer is very efficient, thanks to its shorter charge time and longer run time.
It has an 18V 2.0Ah battery which charges in just 40 minutes and lasts for 80 minutes.
It has a tip protection feature built-in and cuts relatively well, with a narrower cutting capacity of 15 mm.
You can see the charge level easily while you work, so you’ll know when the trimmer is running out of charge.
The fast charger and battery included with the trimmer are also compatible with many Einhell Power X-Change devices.
- Built-in blade tip protector
- Visible battery charge level
- Charges quickly
- Blade is shorter compared to others
- Shorter cutting ability
This budget option gives you a trimmer, charger, and battery for the same value as many individual hedge trimmers (Also check out the Best Longreach Hedge Trimmers).
The trimmer is 51cm in length, which can tackle most 5 to 6-ft hedges in small to mid-sized gardens.
It can handle heavy gardening material, like laurel or conifers.
The battery has a smaller capacity of 1.3Ah, but it will still charge up within an hour and give you 40 minutes of run time.
- Charger and battery are compatible with other Terratek tools
- Enough power to tackle robust hedge material
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Battery capacity is lower than other models
This compact trimmer is lightweight and easy to use.
Its runtime will last for around an hour after a full charge, but one drawback is that its charging time takes 200 minutes, which is a lot longer compared to some of the other trimmers on this list.
This trimmer has a 40cm blade with blade gaps of 16mm, which is best for smaller hedges and gardens.
It may struggle with taller or larger hedges, but if you only need to maintain shrubs or smaller leaved hedges, the cordless and lightweight SimpliCut can make these tasks a little easier.
- Lightweight and compact
- Long run time of an hour
- Fast cutting speed for cordless device, 2400 c/m
- Smaller blade size can struggle to tackle larger hedges and gardens
This trimmer is quite heavy compared to other cordless ones, but this is an advantage when it comes to trimming dense garden material.
The trimmer has a long 75cm blade with triple teeth, ideal for breaking up tougher, unruly hedges.
It also has a long run time, delivering 90 minutes with just one charge, along with a rotating handle that makes it easier to trim vertically and horizontally.
- Rotating handle that improves comfortability
- Longer triple edged blade breaks up tougher material easily
- Long runtime, around 90 minutes with one charge
- Heavier weight may make it harder to manoeuvre around
This is one of the best battery-powered trimmers for tackling larger, unruly hedges and shrubs.
It has a maximum 22cm cutting width and a long, 50cm blade that can handle a variety of garden tasks.
The trimmer also has an ergonomic design that lets you rotate the blade by pulling a lever, along with a battery that charges in just 44mins!
- Short charge time of 44mins
- Large cutting width of 22cm that can handle many different hedges
- Large weight of 3kg can make it harder to control the trimmer
This is a better option for lighter-cutting jobs.
It doesn’t weigh too much and has a nice balance to it, so you won’t encounter many difficulties when guiding the trimmer around hedges.
The battery charges in an hour, but bear in mind that you’ll only get around half an hour of trimming time.
The trimmer is best for quick jobs or hedges that only need occasional maintenance.
- Lightweight and easy to control
- Anti-blocking system ensures continuous trimming
- Ergonomic design places less strain on shoulders and arms
- Shorter run time of around 30 mins
This tiny trimmer is useful for sculpting smaller hedges to your desired design. It shouldn’t be used for larger trimming jobs, but it’s a useful tool for smaller shaping tasks.
The battery does need more time to charge, but you’ll get over an hour of trimming time without any issues.
If precision is more important to you, you’ll see great results with this hedge trimmer (You might also want to check out the Best Petrol Hedge Trimmers).
- Lightweight and compact
- Comes with three different blades for various tasks
- Delivers over an hour of trimming time
- Battery takes a long time to charge, 180 mins
This hedge trimmer has a POWERCOMMAND CUT feature that lets you deliver more powerful, slower cuts with a press of a button. This helps you cut through tougher branches easily while preventing blade jams from happening.
The 45cm blade with its 18mm blade gap is best for smaller hedges, and you’ll notice you have more control thanks to the trimmer’s bale handle design.
- Slices through branches easily without damaging the hedge or blade
- Bale handle design with soft grip for comfortable hold with more control
- Durable steel blade
- Running time isn’t that long, delivering around 35 minutes of work
You will need to self-attach the hand guard on this appliance, but it is clear, so you’ll be able to control your trimming work better.
The handle is wrapped in a soft grip finish that makes it comfortable to hold, while the dual action system lowers the amount of vibration, making the trimmer exceptionally easy to use.
The battery does take 230 minutes to charge and has a shorter run time of only 20 minutes, but it includes two batteries, so you’ll be able to get 40 minutes of use if you keep the other battery charged.
- Comes with an additional battery
- Comfortable handle grip
- Laser cut blade helps you make precise cuts
- Takes a long time to charge, 230 minutes
- Shorter running time of only 20 mins
Another option from Flymo, this hedge trimmer delivers amazing performance at a great value.
The 50cm blade has smaller teeth spacing at 16mm, but its double-sided sharp blades manage to cut through smaller garden matter well.
The front handle is large and lets you hold the trimmer from several different angles, adding to its ease of use.
You’ll get around an hour’s worth of run time before the trimmer runs out of charge.
- Large handle that is comfortable to hold
- Includes charger and battery
- Exchangeable powerhead that works with every Flymo C-Link product
- Small teeth spacing may find it harder to cut bigger branches
This appliance has a tip-protected 55cm blade with a cutting ability of 18mm. It is lightweight, making it easy to move and make precise cuts.
The battery needs 70 minutes to fully charge and gives you an acceptable run time of 40 minutes.
You can see the charge level visibly while you work by pressing a button.
The blade is durable, but it may struggle to cut through denser wood.
- Visible battery level
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Tip-protected blade that’s ideal for cutting close to hard exteriors or walls
- May be difficult to cut through denser wood
This battery-powered trimmer cuts fast and is easy to use. It is built with a jam feature that stops the blade from getting clogged.
The blade also has 20mm teeth spacing that lets it slice through unrulier, thicker wood.
You can move the handle to three separate positions depending on your preferences, along with the trimmer head, which can pivot up to 125° for accurate vertical and horizontal cuts.
- Runs quietly, generates less noise
- Jam function prevents the blade from getting clogged
- Handle rotates for user comfort
- Battery level indicator isn’t very visible
STIGA’s battery-powered trimmer is packed with lots of features.
Other than the durable steel blade, the trimmer has a visible battery-level detector, a hanging hole for simple storage, and a soft-grip handle that is comfortable to hold.
The handle also pivots 180° to make cutting easier.
The battery takes a reasonable 70 minutes to charge and delivers 40 minutes of run time, which is ideal for tidying up bushes, trees, and hedges.
- Comfortable, soft grip handle
- Handle rotates to make cutting easier
- Clear battery level detector
- Can be hard to fit the blade cover over the blades
Battery Powered Hedge Trimmer Buying Guide
Hedge trimmers come in three main varieties:
- Battery powered cordless
- Corded electric
- 4-cycle or 2 cycle gas powered engines
Battery-powered trimmers have an advantage, as they have all the benefits of electric trimmers while being portable, thanks to the rechargeable pack.
The drawback here is that the battery can only be used for a certain amount of time before needing to be charged.
Things To Consider Before Buying Battery-Operated Trimmers
The main two features to look for in a battery-operated hedge trimmer are voltage and battery run time.
Battery-powered trimmers generally last between 40-60 minutes on one full charge. Despite this, some models can last up to two hours before needing to be recharged.
The battery’s duration time is managed by the amperage required by the trimmer’s motor and its storage aptitude in Amp-hours (Ah).
It’s best to look for battery storage with a minimum of 2.0Ah.
Voltage refers to the amount of power a hedge trimmer generates. Hedge trimmers usually have a battery voltage between 20 and 80 volts.
What Voltage Do Hedge Trimmers Need?
Each hedge trimmer will have a different voltage, depending on the type of hedge that you want to trim.
20 volts will be enough for the majority of suburban gardens, but larger ones with taller hedges may need voltages above 36V.
How Long Will Batteries Last In A Battery-Powered Hedge Trimmer?
The battery life in a battery-powered hedge trimmer will vary depending on the model itself. One charge is usually enough to last between 40 and 60 minutes.
This battery life will begin to decline as the trimmer ages. The average battery in a cordless hedge trimmer should last for 2 to 3 years, or around 300 to 500 charges.
- The History Of The Chainsaw: From Its Invention To The Present - October 26, 2022
- 15 Best Commercial Hedge Trimmers To Try Today - October 26, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About Brushless Lawn Mowers - October 26, 2022